Saturday, March 13, 2010

First week in Vancouver - March 5th-12th

After the first two days in Seattle I headed North to Vancouver. At the beginning we had the chance to see the Northern neighborhoods of Seattle by the ocean and then a beautiful view of the Cascades on the East most of the time until the Canadian border.



Crossing the border only took a few questions and soon enough I was finally in Vancouver :D It didn't take me much to find my way to Granville station and after a short commute in the driverless Skytrain I finally arrived at my new, beautiful home.



My roommates weren't home, but I was welcomed by two couchsurfers who were staying with us for a few days. Soon the roommates arrived though, and with them dinner and craziness ensued. A few friends of them came over so we were a good bunch. We played some board games and drank some mezcal and talked and had some Moscow mules and laughed and had some screwdrivers. Great first night in Vancouver :)

The house is wonderful. The living room is huge and is beautifully decorated and loads of sofas and different lights. The shower is amazing too, with countless shower heads with different shapes and grades of awesomeness. More importantly, the house comes equipped with two lovely cats who, for some reason, seem to like my room, which by the way is also great. In addition, the house is located just two blocks away from Commercial Drive in East Vancouver, a really multi-cultural and diverse area :)



Next morning I walked around the area a bit, and couldn't help stopping every once in a while to look at the amazing mountains right North of the city.



Some more nice pictures of my neighborhood:




Other highlights of the week include having dinner in an all-you-can-eat sushi and Korean BBQ buffet, a few other crazy nights at home, visiting Queen Elizabeth Park, meeting a friend I hosted back in Dublin and a couple of meetings with couchsurfers. Much to my surprise in the big weekly meeting around 80% or more of the people were Europeans. I was naive enough to think that I'd at last meet locals at a CS meeting :D

You can also have a look at all my pictures of the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment